Our Facebook recipe competition which we ran in January has been won by Marc Lyn who entered his recipe for Penclawdd Steak.
Penclawdd Steak – Ingredients
• 1/2 onion (white, brown or yellow)
• 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
• 1 lb/500g ground beef (i.e. best Hugh Phillips beef mince)
• 1 egg (free range of course)
• 2 tbsp ketchup
• 1 beef bouillon cube , crumbled
• 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 3 tsp dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves , minced
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped
• 5 oz/150g mushrooms , sliced
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter
• 3 tbsp plain flour
• 250ml beef stock
• 125ml water
• 2 tsp dijon mustard
• 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• Salt and pepper
Penclawdd Steak – Method
1. Place breadcrumbs in a bowl. Use a box grater and grate the onion over the breadcrumbs. Mix with fingers, leave to soak for a few minutes.
2. Add remaining Penclawdd Steak ingredients into the large bowl. Use your hands to mix until just combined – don’t over mix.
3. Divide into 5 and pat into oval patties around 3/4″ / 1 2/3 cm thick.
Cooking and Gravy
1. Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add the steaks and cook the first side for 1 minute or until browned, then flip and brown the other side (they will still be raw inside). Remove onto plate.
2. If skillet is looking dry, add a touch more oil. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for 2 minute until onions are a bit translucent.
3. Add the mushrooms into the skillet and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until golden.
4. Turn heat down to medium. Add butter. Once melted, add flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
5. Gradually add in beef broth, stirring as you go. Once mostly lump free, whisk in remaining Gravy ingredients.
6. Add steaks along with the juices on the plate. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes, or until gravy is thickened, stirring occasionally around the steaks. If the gravy thickens too quickly, add more water.
7. Remove steaks onto a plate. Taste gravy and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve Penclawdd steaks topped with the mushroom gravy – over mashed potato is ideal! Sprinkle with a bit of parsley if desired.
If you love this recipe, why not order your weekly meat order from our online shop – www.bestonlinebutcher.co.uk and if you order before the end of February, we’ll give you £5 off your second order: